|Source Repository:||Repository:Gentoo Portage Tree|
Summary: Universal network configuration daemon for laptops, desktops, servers and virtualization hosts
- Use net-dns/dnsmasq and net-firewall/iptables for connection sharing
- Use sys-auth/consolekit for session tracking
- Use dhclient from net-misc/dhcp for getting ip
- Use net-misc/dhcpcd for getting ip
- Enable support for mobile broadband devices using net-misc/modemmanager
- Use dev-libs/nss for cryptography
- Enable support for mobile broadband and PPPoE connections using net-dialup/ppp
- Use net-dns/openresolv for managing DNS information
- Enable Teamd control support
- Enable support for wifi and 802.1x security using net-wireless/wpa_supplicant
- Enable support for the deprecated Wext (Wireless Extensions) API; needed for some older drivers (e.g. ipw2200, ndiswrapper)
NetworkManager is the de-facto network connection system for many Linux distributions. NetworkManager supports mobile phone, wireless, and wired connections. NetworkManager is intended to make configuring, and connecting easy.
disable wicd, wpa_supplicant, net.ethX, & net.wlanX and dhcpcd prior to starting network manager.
To install, emerge networkmanager and add it to the default runlevel:
# emerge networkmanager # rc-update add NetworkManager default # rc
To list visible access points:
# nmcli dev wifi list * SSID MODE CHAN RATE SIGNAL BARS SECURITY derp1 Infra 6 54 Mbit/s 30 ▂___ WPA2 derp2 Infra 7 54 Mbit/s 29 ▂___ WPA2 derp3 Infra 1 54 Mbit/s 27 ▂___ WPA1 WPA2 * connectedap Infra 1 54 Mbit/s 52 ▂▄__ WPA1 WPA2
It is also possible to add WiFi access point login information from the command-line:
nmtui has a very nice console-based interface. Network configuration entries are stored in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections so that it will be remembered in the future.
The following command will not work as long as you are in an install chroot environment. The reason for this is that
nmtui will need to be booted into your new Funtoo Linux environment. So run this command after you have rebooted into Funtoo Linux.
Any users besides root will need to be added to the plugdev group to modify connections:
# gpasswd -a $USER plugdev
If you're experiencing troubles, losing connection after a 45-second timeout with NetworkManager and dhcpcd, switch the dhcp backend to dhclient (net-misc/dhcp).
Sessions for users may need ck-launch-session in .xinitrc to use nm-applet, or have sessions launched from a display manager.
# emerge nm-applet
# emerge plasma-nm
NetworkManager supports spoofing MAC addresses out of the box. Supply an arbitrary MAC address to the cloned address field.