Welcome to Funtoo Linux
Funtoo Linux is a Linux-based operating system that is a variant of Gentoo Linux. Funtoo Linux is:
- ...fun! Our priority is to create a great, supportive and responsive user community.
- ...user-centric and collaborative. Everyone is considered a user of Funtoo, first and foremost. You don't need any special privileges to collaborate with us.
- ...production-oriented: Our goal is to have Funtoo be useful for real-world tasks. We use Funtoo to do stuff, like host our infrastructure. It needs to work.
- ...creative: We seek creative, elegant and maintainable solutions to problems of all kinds.
Learn more about Funtoo Linux's development priorities at Funtoo Linux Vision.
We encourage you to install Funtoo Linux, and get involved in our user community. Get to know fellow Funtoo Linux users on our forums. If you have any improvements or find any bugs in Funtoo Linux, you are strongly encouraged to report them on our bug tracker. We take all bugs seriously, and all work performed on Funtoo Linux is tracked on our bug tracker, for purposes of transparency.
Funtoo Linux has a very active IRC community on Freenode, in the
#funtoo channel, and you are encouraged to hang out online with us.
Funtoo Linux is led by Daniel Robbins, the creator and former Chief Architect of Gentoo Linux, who serves as benevolent dictator for life (BDFL) of the project. Our organizational structure consists of BDFL and a small number of support staff, as well as members of our user community who are involved in improving Funtoo Linux. Developement efforts are driven by the BDFL as well as our users, and efforts are under way to implement various mechanisms to allow supporters of Funtoo Linux to chart the future direction of the project.
Funtoo Linux packages are installed from source code, automatically, thanks to the Portage ports system. Funtoo Linux has its own distinct ports tree (repository of packages), which is based on Gentoo's. Every several hours, the Funtoo Linux Portage tree is updated using an automated merge process, to include the latest changes from Gentoo Linux, Funtoo Linux developers and contributors, as well as other independent developers.
We use Git for all our development, and we also use Git to deliver our Portage tree to you.
Help Document Ebuilds!
We need help adding documentation for ebuilds to our wiki. See below for a list of pages:
This page lists all ebuilds with pages on the Funtoo Linux wiki.
- 389 Directory Server (net-nds/389-ds-base, This is the core part of 389 Directory Server -- technically, all you need for an LDAP deployment, although many will want to install 389-ds-admin for the graphical management capabilities, too.)
- 389 Directory Server Admin Server (net-nds/389-admin, The 389 Directory Server Admin Server is an Apache-based application server that can optionally be deployed alongside 389 Directory Server. It allows for remote Java-based management of your 389 Directory Server deployment.)
- 389 Directory Server AdminUtil (dev-libs/389-adminutil, AdminUtil is a set of utility functions written in C, and a dependency of 389 Directory Server.)
- 389 Directory Server Console (app-admin/389-ds-console, This is the Java-based remote management console that is used for managing 389 Directory Server (administration as well as the server app itself.))
- ACPI Daemon (sys-power/acpid, Daemon for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
- AMD Catalyst Video Drivers (x11-drivers/ati-drivers, Accelerated ATI/AMD binary drivers for Radeon HD 5000 and newer chipsets.)
- APC UPS Daemon (sys-power/apcupsd, APC UPS daemon with integrated network-based remote shutdown)
- Apache (www-servers/apache, The Apache Web Server)
- Apache-tools (app-admin/apache-tools, Useful Apache tools - htdigest, htpasswd, ab, htdbm)
- Ardour (media-sound/ardour, Ardour is a fully featured audio and MIDI multi-track recording and editing digital audio workstation.)
- Audacious Music Player (media-sound/audacious, Audacious is a lightweight GTK-based music player which supports many formats. It does not use the library concept but rather playlists for managing your music.)
- Awesome (Window Manager) (x11-wm/awesome, A dynamic floating and tiling window manager.)
- BSF Bean Scripting Framework (dev-java/bsf, A framework that allows many scripting languages to be plugged into a Java application.)
- Baselayout (sys-apps/baselayout, Filesystem baselayout, initscripts and /sbin/realdev command)
- Bash (app-shells/bash, The standard GNU Bourne-again shell.)
- Bash completion (app-shells/bash-completion, Bash tab-completion)
- Batik (dev-java/batik, Java-based SVG toolkit.)
- Bitwig Studio (media-sound/bitwig-studio, Music production and performance system)
- Boo (dev-lang/boo, A wrist-friendly language for the CLI.)
- Boot-Update (sys-boot/boot-update, Funtoo Core Boot Framework for global boot loader configuration)
- CA Certificates (app-misc/ca-certificates, This package contains SSL certificates in PEM format that are used to validate the authenticity of remote systems, using the certificate authority system.)
- CCache (dev-util/ccache, CCACHE is an application that caches compilation results and reuses it in future compilations in order to achieve faster compile times.)
- Chromium (www-client/chromium, Chromium is the Open Source Web browser that serves as the foundation for Google Chrome.)
- Compton (x11-misc, A compositor for X.)
- Cx Oracle (dev-python/cx-oracle, Python interface to Oracle.)
- Dash (app-shells/dash, DASH is a direct descendant of the NetBSD version of ash (the Almquist SHell) and is POSIX compliant)
- Dbus (sys-apps/dbus, A message bus ystem, a simple way for applications to talk to each other)
- DeaDBeeF (media-sound/deadbeef, A foobar2000-like music player)
- Dictd Moby Thesaurus (app-dicts/dictd-moby-thesaurus, This package contains the Moby Thesaurus, produced as part of the Moby Project. It is designed to work with dictd dictionary server.)
- Dirvish Backup (app-backup/dirvish, Simple text-based configuration backup program composed of perl wrappers and using ssh and rsync)
- Drupal (www-apps/drupal, PHP-based open-source platform and content management system)
- Dwm (x11-wm/dwm, dwm is extremely fast and lightweight window manager. It manages windows in tiled, floating and monocle layouts.)
- Eclipse (dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin, A powerful integrated development environment (IDE) written in Java.)
- Eix (app-portage/eix, A command to search and query ebuilds, portage including local settings, overlays, version changes, and more.)
- Eselect (app-admin/eselect, This is Gentoo's multi-purpose management and configuration tool. The Funtoo version has been enhanced to support Funtoo's enhanced profile system.)
- Eselect (Java) (app-admin/eselect-java, Eselect (Java) is a Java module for eselect that is used to set the system JRE/JVM on Funtoo Linux systems.)
- Eselect (Jython) (app-admin/eselect-jython, An eselect module to manage the active system Jython implementation.)
- Eselect (OpenGL) (app-admin/eselect-opengl, A Gentoo/Funtoo utility that allows the active OpenGL implementation on a system to be switched between a variety of installed options.)
- Eselect (Ruby) (app-admin/eselect-ruby, This eselect module manages the active system implmentation of Ruby.)
- Eselect (Sh) (app-admin/eselect-sh, This eselect module manages the /bin/sh (POSIX shell) symlink.)
- Feh (media-gfx/feh, A fast, lightweight imageviewer using imlib2)
- FreeMarker (dev-java/freemarker, FreeMarker is a template engine; a generic tool to generate text output based on templates.)
- GDM (gnome-base/gdm, GNOME Display Manager for managing graphical display servers and user logins)
- Genlop (app-portage/genlop, A nice emerge.log parser.)
- Gentoo Syntax (Vim) (app-vim/gentoo-syntax, A vim plugin that provides Funtoo ebuild, eclass, GLEP, ChangeLog and Portage file syntax highlighting, filetype and indent settings.)
- Gentoolkit (app-portage/gentoolkit, Collection of administration scripts for funtoo)
- Gexiv2 (media-libs/gexiv2, GObject-based wrapper around the Exiv2 library.)
- Git (dev-vcs/git, GIT - the stupid content tracker, the revision control system heavily used by the Linux kernel team)
- Git Subtree (dev-vcs/git-subtree, An experimental alternative to the git-submodule command. Merges and splits subtrees from your project into subprojects and back.)
- Gnome-sudoku (games-puzzle/gnome-sudoku, Test your logic skills in this number grid puzzle)
- … further results
Add an Ebuild page: (see Adding an Ebuild to the Wiki for instructions)