- Can I reboot my container?
- Yes, reboot normally and it will come back up.
- How do I upgrade the kernel in my VPS?
- A virtual container shares a kernel with the host, so you do not have the ability to change the kernel from "inside" the container.
- Can I run Docker inside my container?
- The OpenVZ development team is the largest code contributor to the Linux Containers kernel code, and we use OpenVZ, but right now it is not possible to run LXC inside an OpenVZ container. This may change with the release of newer OpenVZ kernels based on 3.x.
Once you have signed up for Funtoo Monthly support, contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request a virtual container. You'll need to send me two things:
- The hostname you'd like for your container. It will be something.host.funtoo.org.
- Attach your SSH public key. I will use this to grant you root access to your container.
Generating SSH Keys
To generate an SSH key pair, do this as the user that you'll be using to log in to your container:
$ ssh-keygen -t rsa
If you specify a passphrase when prompted, your local private key (~/.ssh/id_rsa) will be encrypted, and ssh will prompt you for this passphrase prior to connecting. If you don't specify a passphrase, then you won't need to enter anything to connect but it you need to be extra careful that you don't allow others to access your private key.
The file you will need to send me is ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub or ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub. This is the public key... it's safe to send over email since all I or anyone else can use it for is to grant you access to a system using your private key. Just don't send your private key to me.
The VPS is for your personal use. No reselling.
There is currently no Web panel - these servers will be set up using my own automated tool and you will be provided with ssh access. I can periodically reload VPS images as needed.
This service is offered as a thank-you gift to Funtoo Linux supporters as long as sufficient capacity is available, with no warranty for uptime or anything else.
There are no refunds.
While I host several production sites on this infrastructure, you assume all risk for hosting your production services on your VPS.
I will make a best-effort-only attempt to provide support via IRC and email, and do not offer 24/7 support for your VPS.
US-Legal activities only. No spam will be tolerated.
These VPS systems are intended for funtoo enthusiasts only. I am providing (particularly in the higher-level plans) generous default resource limits with the understanding that the VPS will be used for general Funtoo use and server stuff.
Compiling with -j(NUM-CPUS+1) is encouraged (this is Funtoo, after all -- I want you to enjoy fast compiles :), but it's not okay to continually max CPU, IO, or network utilization. So, no folding@home, massive file sharing, etc.
I am currently not supporting IPv6 but will look into adding such support if there is enough interest.
You are responsible for backups.
I reserve the right to change plans and pricing in the future.