Difference between pages "Widget:YouTube" and "Compare Forked Packages To Gentoo"
(→How To Help)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
to . . to .
how , see
of to . <><>"
Revision as of 05:06, 29 September 2013
Funtoo Linux has a number of forked packages, and sometimes these packages can get out-of-date relative to Gentoo Linux. Periodically, we need to update ebuilds in Funtoo Linux so that they are current. To make this task easier, we have an automated script that compares versions of forked ebuilds in Funtoo Linux to those in Gentoo Linux.
Here's how it works: Below, you can see a list of all ebuilds in Gentoo Linux that have higher version numbers than those in Funtoo Linux. This list is updated hourly.
Funtoo / Gentoo Comparison (funtoo-current, x86-64bit)
- app-admin/eselect-ruby 20130814 > 20110605-r1
- app-admin/system-config-printer-common 1.4.3 > 1.3.12
- app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome 1.4.3 > 1.3.12
- app-arch/tar 1.27-r2 > 1.26-r1
- app-misc/tracker 0.16.2 > 0.14.5
- app-portage/portage-utils 0.41 > 0.21-r1
- app-vim/gentoo-syntax 20130619 > 20120916
- mail-mta/postfix 2.11_pre20131104 > 2.10.2
- net-dns/avahi 0.6.31-r2 > 0.6.30-r4
- net-dns/dnsmasq 2.67 > 2.66
- net-libs/nodejs 0.11.7 > 0.11.2
- net-libs/gnome-online-accounts 22.214.171.124 > 3.6.3
- net-misc/networkmanager 0.9.8.8 > 0.9.8.2-r2
- sys-apps/openrc 0.12.4 > 0.12.3-r1
- sys-apps/util-linux 2.24 > 2.23.2-r1
- sys-apps/hwids 20130915.1 > 20130209.1
- sys-boot/grub 9999-r1 > 2.00-r7
- sys-fs/lvm2 2.02.103 > 2.02.95-r2
- sys-fs/udev 208 > 204
- sys-fs/udisks 2.1.1 > 2.0.0
- sys-kernel/genkernel 3.4.47 > 126.96.36.199-r1
- sys-libs/pam 1.1.7 > 1.1.6-r4
- virtual/udev 206-r3 > 197-r3
- www-servers/nginx 1.5.6 > 1.4.3
- sys-power/upower 0.9.23 > 0.9.20-r1
- app-crypt/gcr 3.8.2 > 3.6.2
- gnome-base/gdm 3.8.4-r3 > 3.6.2
- gnome-base/gnome-menus 3.8.1 > 3.6.2
- gnome-base/gnome-session 3.8.4 > 3.6.2-r2
- gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon 3.8.5 > 3.6.4
- dev-util/valgrind 3.9.0 > 3.8.1-r2
- sys-firmware/ipxe 1.0.0_p20130925 > 1.0.0_p20130624-r1
- gnome-extra/gnome-documents 3.8.5 > 3.6.2
- net-im/empathy 3.8.4 > 3.6.4
Some of these ebuilds may be intentionally kept at earlier versions, although in general, we want to update ebuilds to the most recent version that works reliably. Note that rev parts of ebuilds ("-rX") are not considered in version comparisons, since sometimes Gentoo and Funtoo revisions are not analogous.
How To Help
Here's how you can help: If you see an package above that appears to be out-of-date, and you believe we should update to a newer version, open a bug on the Funtoo bug tracker. We can look into the ebuild and will give you feedback on whether we feel a new version of the ebuild should be added.
If there is some consensus that it should be updated, you can also help with the update process. funtoo-overlay on GitHub and working on updating the ebuild yourself. Reference your commits in a bug report on our bug tracker. If you are going to help with ebuild writing, it's important to first familiarize yourself with why we forked the ebuild in the first place. The best way to dig up information on the history of the forked Funtoo package is to type "git log ." in the ebuild directory. This will show log information for the package only, and you can look at the history of the ebuild.
When updating ebuilds, we do want to look at Gentoo's most recent changes. Some of our ebuilds are mild variations of Gentoo's ebuilds, while others are complete rewrites. In general, we like to make our work as easy as possible, so we don't want to duplicate work. We'll change stuff if there is a good reason to do so. We want to make the process of updating ebuilds as easy as possible, while keeping added functionality or bug fixes that have been added on the Funtoo side.