Funtoo Linux History
From Funtoo Linux
Revision as of 02:13, 2 November 2010 by Drobbins
Funtoo Linux History
- Dec 2007 - Daniel starts building stable Gentoo stages
- Dec 2007 - Daniel starts building Gentoo OpenVZ templates
- Jul 2008 - Daniel moves stages to 2008.0 profile
- Aug, 2008 - Daniel builds first unstable Gentoo stages - requires modifications to upstream Gentoo tree
- Oct 18, 2008 - First version of Metro, Linux automated build engine, released.
- Aug 25, 2010 - Perl 5.12 hits stable Funtoo
- Nov 4, 2008 - Metro 1.1 released
- Dec 15, 2008 - Metro 1.2 released
- Jan 6, 2009 - sunrise merged into Funtoo
- Jan 8, 2009 - Git support integrated into Portage
- Jan 30, 2009 - Perl 5.10 integrated into Funtoo Linux
- Feb 1, 2010 - sunrise removed from Funtoo
From Inception to Gentoo 1.0+
- July 1997 - Started a new position at University of New Mexico, was using Debian 1.3
- Nov 1998 - Was using/developing for Stampede Linux at home, but had not (yet) started Enoch?
- Apr 1999 - Was working on Enoch - wrote xpak .tbz2 code that is still in Portage
- May 18-27, 1999 - First version of Enoch released, according to LWN.net. My blurb for Enoch: "Enoch is an advanced GNU/Linux distribution for the x86 PC Architecture, designed to bring your Linux experience into a new dimension. Or something like that."
- Aug 1999 - My new dual Celeron mobo would not run Linux, went to FreeBSD, Achim Gottinger kept Enoch going
- Late 1999 - Must have came back to Enoch and done the Gentoo name change right about now - the "Gentoo" name was Bob Mutch's idea - started incorporating some FreeBSD ideas into Enoch - Portage (as we know it today) was born.
- July 26, 2000 - Gentoo 1.0 release "imminent", cvs online, rsync "coming soon"
- Nov 3, 2000 - Gentoo 1.0 Release Candidate 2
- Dec 11, 2000 - Gentoo 1.0 Release Candidate 3
- Aug 14, 2001 - New Gentoo Logo/Web site debut - designed by me! Still in use today! :)
- Feb 16-17, 2002 - Was in Brussels, Belgium to attend FOSDEM
- Mar 31, 2002 - Gentoo Linux 1.0 Released !!!
- May 10, 2002 - Gentoo Listed as one of the top 10 Linux distributions on DistroWatch
- Apr 8, 2002 - Gentoo Linux 1.1a released :)
- Jun 10, 2002 - Gentoo Linux 1.2 released :)