|Source Repository:||Repository:Gentoo Portage Tree|
Summary: Samba is an Open Source/Free Software suite that provides seamless file and print services to SMB/CIFS clients. Integration with various accounting and antivirus backends.
- Enable Active Directory Domain Controller support
- Enable Active Directory support
- Enables support for swat configuration gui
- Enables support for the winbind auth daemon
- Enables the client part
- Enables the server part
- Enable building of netapi bits
- Enable AD DNS integration
- Enable asynchronous IO support
- Enable support for clustering
- Enable support for DMAPI. This currently works only in combination with XFS.
- Enable the ldb tools
- Enables support for user quotas
- Enable smbclient tool
- Enable special smb share modes (?)
- Enable Samba Traffic Analyzer version 2
- Use app-crypt/mit-krb5 instead of app-crypt/heimdal.
- Enabling iPrint technology by Novell
Project Unfork StatusHere's an update on Project Unfork, plus other neat things.
IP Space Migration ContinuesAll Funtoo user containers in the 8.28 IP space will be moving into our new IP space (172.97) over the next few days. If you have DNS set up -- be sure to watch your container and update to the new IP! container.host.funtoo.org DNS will be updated after the move.
Funtoo Hosting IP MoveFuntoo user containers with IPs in the 72.18.x.x range will be gradually migrating to new IP addresses this week. If you have DNS entries for your containers, please be aware that your DNS will need to be updated.
Samba is a package that enables windows shares within linux. Samba can be used with gvfs, and mount to make remote shares appear as if they contain local data.
Samba configs conflict within versions, if you're experiencing problems with updates, remove samba entirely from the system, and reinstall from scratch. Once samba starts to run good with default configurations, start inserting custom configurations.
# emerge net-fs/samba
Here is an example of my samba 3x series /etc/samba/smb.conf file. This should work for samba 4x series but may take some adaptation. https://gist.github.com/666threesixes666/5505323
Windows uses wins, netbios, and netbui. to address a machine as //server or //doze requires these services activated otherwise you're restricted to ip/alias/dns to connect to a computer on the LAN.