Welcome to Funtoo Linux
Funtoo Linux is a Linux-based operating system that is a variant of Gentoo Linux. Funtoo Linux is:
- ...fun! Our priority is to create a great, supportive and responsive user community.
- ...user-centric and collaborative. Everyone is considered a user of Funtoo, first and foremost. You don't need any special privileges to collaborate with us.
- ...production-oriented: Our goal is to have Funtoo be useful for real-world tasks. We use Funtoo to do stuff, like host our infrastructure. It needs to work.
- ...creative: We seek creative, elegant and maintainable solutions to problems of all kinds.
Learn more about Funtoo Linux's development philosophy at Funtoo Linux Vision.
We encourage you to install Funtoo Linux, and get involved in our user community. Get to know fellow Funtoo Linux users on our forums. If you have any improvements or find any bugs in Funtoo Linux, you are strongly encouraged to report them on our bug tracker. We take all bugs seriously, and all work performed on Funtoo Linux is tracked on our bug tracker, for purposes of transparency.
Funtoo Linux has a very active IRC community on Freenode, in the
#funtoo channel, and you are encouraged to hang out online with us.
Funtoo Linux is led by Daniel Robbins, the creator and former Chief Architect of Gentoo Linux, who serves as benevolent dictator for life (BDFL) of the project. Our organizational structure consists of BDFL and a small number of support staff, as well as members of our user community who are involved in improving Funtoo Linux. Developement efforts are driven by the BDFL as well as our users, and efforts are under way to implement various mechanisms to allow supporters of Funtoo Linux to chart the future direction of the project.
Funtoo Linux packages are installed from source code, automatically, thanks to the Portage ports system. Funtoo Linux has its own distinct ports tree (repository of packages), which is based on Gentoo's. Every several hours, the Funtoo Linux Portage tree is updated using an automated merge process, to include the latest changes from Gentoo Linux, Funtoo Linux developers and contributors, as well as other independent developers.
We use Git for all our development, and we also use Git to deliver our Portage tree to you.
Help Document Ebuilds!
We need help adding documentation for ebuilds to our wiki. See below for a list of pages:
This page lists all ebuilds with pages on the Funtoo Linux wiki.
- 389 Directory Server (net-nds/389-ds-base, This is the core part of 389 Directory Server -- technically, all you need for an LDAP deployment, although many will want to install 389-ds-admin for the graphical management capabilities, too.)
- 389 Directory Server Admin Server (net-nds/389-admin, The 389 Directory Server Admin Server is an Apache-based application server that can optionally be deployed alongside 389 Directory Server. It allows for remote Java-based management of your 389 Directory Server deployment.)
- 389 Directory Server AdminUtil (dev-libs/389-adminutil, AdminUtil is a set of utility functions written in C, and a dependency of 389 Directory Server.)
- 389 Directory Server Console (app-admin/389-ds-console, This is the Java-based remote management console that is used for managing 389 Directory Server (administration as well as the server app itself.))
- ACPI Daemon (sys-power/acpid, Daemon for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
- AMD Catalyst Video Drivers (x11-drivers/ati-drivers, Accelerated ATI/AMD binary drivers for Radeon HD 5000 and newer chipsets.)
- APC UPS Daemon (sys-power/apcupsd, APC UPS daemon with integrated network-based remote shutdown)
- BSF Bean Scripting Framework (dev-java/bsf, A framework that allows many scripting languages to be plugged into a Java application.)
- Bash (app-shells/bash, The standard GNU Bourne-again shell.)
- Batik (dev-java/batik, Java-based SVG toolkit.)
- Boo (dev-lang/boo, A wrist-friendly language for the CLI.)
- Boot-Update (sys-boot/boot-update, Funtoo Core Boot Framework for global boot loader configuration)
- CA Certificates (app-misc/ca-certificates, This package contains SSL certificates in PEM format that are used to validate the authenticity of remote systems, using the certificate authority system.)
- CCache (dev-util/ccache, CCACHE is an application that caches compilation results and reuses it in future compilations in order to achieve faster compile times.)
- Chromium (www-client/chromium, Chromium is the Open Source Web browser that serves as the foundation for Google Chrome.)
- Cx Oracle (dev-python/cx-oracle, Python interface to Oracle.)
- DeaDBeeF (media-sound/deadbeef, A foobar2000-like music player)
- Dictd Moby Thesaurus (app-dicts/dictd-moby-thesaurus, This package contains the Moby Thesaurus, produced as part of the Moby Project. It is designed to work with dictd dictionary server.)
- Eclipse (dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin, A powerful integrated development environment (IDE) written in Java.)
- Eix (app-portage/eix, A command to search and query ebuilds, portage including local settings, overlays, version changes, and more.)
- Eselect (app-admin/eselect, This is Gentoo's multi-purpose management and configuration tool. The Funtoo version has been enhanced to support Funtoo's enhanced profile system.)
- Eselect (Java) (app-admin/eselect-java, Eselect (Java) is a Java module for eselect that is used to set the system JRE/JVM on Funtoo Linux systems.)
- Eselect (Jython) (app-admin/eselect-jython, An eselect module to manage the active system Jython implementation.)
- Eselect (OpenGL) (app-admin/eselect-opengl, A Gentoo/Funtoo utility that allows the active OpenGL implementation on a system to be switched between a variety of installed options.)
- Eselect (Ruby) (app-admin/eselect-ruby, This eselect module manages the active system implmentation of Ruby.)
- Eselect (Sh) (app-admin/eselect-sh, This eselect module manages the /bin/sh (POSIX shell) symlink.)
- FreeMarker (dev-java/freemarker, FreeMarker is a template engine; a generic tool to generate text output based on templates.)
- Genlop (app-portage/genlop, A nice emerge.log parser.)
- Gentoo Syntax (Vim) (app-vim/gentoo-syntax, A vim plugin that provides Funtoo ebuild, eclass, GLEP, ChangeLog and Portage file syntax highlighting, filetype and indent settings.)
- Gexiv2 (media-libs/gexiv2, GObject-based wrapper around the Exiv2 library.)
- Git Subtree (dev-vcs/git-subtree, An experimental alternative to the git-submodule command. Merges and splits subtrees from your project into subprojects and back.)
- Guile (dev-scheme/guile, GNU Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for Extensions.)
- Gzip (app-arch/gzip, Gzip is the standard GNU compressor/decompressor, used to create and expand .gz archives.)
- IBus Pinyin (app-i18n/ibus-pinyin, Chinese PinYin IMEngine for IBus Framework)
- IBus Table (app-i18n/ibus-table, The Table Engine for IBus Framework)
- JACK Audio Connection Kit (media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit, A sophisticated audio routing and mixing application.)
- JSS (Network Security Services for Java) (dev-java/jss, Network Security Services for Java (JSS) is a Java interface to NSS.)
- Java SE Development Kit (JDK) (dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin, Oracle's Java SE Development Kit -- Java runtime, compiler, etc.)
- Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) (dev-java/oracle-jre-bin, Oracle's Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) - For running Java applications.)
- Jython (dev-java/jython, An implementation of Python written in Java.)
- LXC (app-emulation/lxc, The LXC package implements command-line, user-space utilities that allow you to use the Linux kernel's linux container functionality.)
- Lib users (app-admin/lib_users, Checks /proc for libraries being mapped but marked as deleted)
- Libdc1394 (media-libs/libdc1394, Library to interface with IEEE 1394 cameras following the IIDC specification.)
- Libgcrypt (dev-libs/libgcrypt, Libgcrypt is a general-purpose cryptographic library.)
- Libgcrypt (Compatibility Libraries) (dev-libs/libgcrypt-compat, Libgcrypt is a general purpose cryptographic library. This version of Libgcrypt is is designed to sit alongside an existing libgcrypt install, and just provide compatibility libs for apps that require an older libgcrypt.)
- Libgpg-Error (dev-libs/libgpg-error, Contains error handling functions used by GnuPG software.)
- Libmediascan (media-libs/libmediascan, C library for scanning audio/video/image file metadata.)
- Lilo (sys-boot/lilo, Standard Linux boot loader)
- Luasec (dev-lua/luasec, Lua binding for OpenSSL library to provide TLS/SSL communication.)
- Media-player-info (app-misc/media-player-info, media-player-info is a repository of data files describing media player capabilities, mostly of mass-storage devices. These files contain information about the directory layout to use to add music to these devices, the supported file formats and so on.)
- … further results
Add an Ebuild page: (see Adding an Ebuild to the Wiki for instructions)