Adding an Ebuild to the Wiki
This page describes how to add an official entry for an ebuild to the Funtoo Linux wiki.
Our goal for ebuild wiki pages is ambitious -- the wiki should have complete and excellent documentation for using every ebuild in Portage. If the ebuild exists in your Funtoo Linux Portage tree, and there is no corresponding ebuild page for it, you're encouraged to use these instructions to add a page to the wiki for it.
What We Have So Far
To see what ebuild pages we have so far, see the Ebuilds by CatPkg page to see if the "CatPkg" (category/package atom) is already on this wiki.
The Package Namespace
This wiki has a special MediaWiki namespace called
Package. Pages in this namespace have a URL that is prefixed with
Package:, such as this wiki page: Package:Accelerated_AMD_Video_Drivers, which is also a good example of a wiki page for an ebuild.
An Example Ebuild Page
Let's look at an ebuild page: Package:Accelerated AMD Video Drivers. You'll notice it has a unique look that is distinct from a regular wiki page.
There are several other notable things about package pages. Let's take a look at each:
- As covered earlier, the ebuild is in the Package namespace.
- The ebuild is in the Category:Ebuilds category.
- In the left-hand Tools menu, you can click
Browse Propertieson an Ebuild page to view its queryable semantic properties.
- There is an infobox in the upper-right corner that lists current ebuild maintainer, and the source repository to which it belongs, as well as its official CatPkg name.
And one of the most important things to note about this Ebuild page is the name of the wiki page itself. Rather than being named
x11-drivers/ati-drivers, as the ebuild is identified in the Portage tree, it has a regular English name as the wiki page name. Some ebuilds, like the Package:Nginx page, have the regular package name as the wiki page name. The general rule for naming ebuild pages is that htey should be named as a regular wiki page, with a descriptive English name in the Package namespace. The Package namespace (as well as being part of the Category:Ebuilds category) indicates that this page is about a Package (ebuild.)
The following semantic data is stored for each Package page:
- CatPkg (string) - the canonical name (catpkg atom) for the package in its overlay or repository.
- Maintainer (Page) - a link to the maintainer(s) of this package (if the user has a User page, it will link there.)
- Repository (Page) - a link to the repository from which this ebuild is sourced. This can be an overlay or a full Portage tree.
- Summary (Text) - a short summary, typically a sentence, that describes the functionality of the ebuild.
Creating a Package Page
To add an Ebuild page to the wiki, use the widget below, which will pop up a form to guide you through the creation process. Remember the naming guidelines... If you were creating a wiki page for
www-servers/apache, you would probably name the wiki page "Apache" or "Apache Web Server", and then enter
www-servers/apache as the CatPkg on the form.