Talk:Funtoo Linux Installation
In dependence on to this statement: "LINGUAS tells Portage which local language to compile the system and applications in (those who use LINGUAS variable like OpenOffice). It is not usually necessary to set this if you use English. If you want another language such as French (fr) or German (de), set LINGUAS appropriately..."
I've just got problems with this advice. I want to compile "app-cdr/brasero-2.32.1-r1" with no linguas flag in make.conf. This produces compile-errors, also see thread on gentoo forums http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-889312-start-0.html
With LINGUAS="en" as minimal configuration the compile process was successful.
Maybe it should be noted using LINGUAS="en" keyword as minimal configuration to avoid errors like this?
The crazy chroot command, while necessary I guess, is getting out of control. Is there a way we can trim it down and still keep things sane?
AFAK this is a SysRescueCD specific issue, alternative:
- chroot /funtoo/mount/path /bin/bash as usual
- once chrooted just unset path: unset path
Here are the rules for this doc -
- Keep things simple, and reasonably short.
- Explain all steps just enough to provide context, but not enough to interrupt the flow of the document.
- Integrate reasonable defaults into the doc that users can and will be expected to use successfully for their own installs. Don't include millions of "if/then" statements. Make reasonable assumptions.
- Recommend preferred approaches for install rather than exhaustively cover all possibilities.
- Don't use this doc to make your own personal recommendations.
- Don't cater to a specific sub-community - keep things general.
- Following this guide should result in a successful installation of Funtoo Linux.
- Optional topics should not clutter the main flow of the document - break them out to their own pages.
- Installing Funtoo can be educational, but the primary goal of this document is to help users get Funtoo Linux up and running successfully. Changes to the doc should be made in the hopes of increasing the % of successful installs. Educate, but do not overwhelm.
OK, I think I have repeated myself enough :)