|Source Repository:||Repository:Gentoo Portage Tree|
Summary: Universal network configuration daemon for laptops, desktops, servers and virtualization hosts
- Use net-dns/dnsmasq and net-firewall/iptables for connection sharing
- Use sys-auth/consolekit for session tracking
- Use dhclient from net-misc/dhcp for getting ip
- Use net-misc/dhcpcd for getting ip
- Enable support for mobile broadband devices using net-misc/modemmanager
- Use dev-libs/nss for cryptography
- Enable support for mobile broadband and PPPoE connections using net-dialup/ppp
- Use net-dns/openresolv for managing DNS information
- Enable Teamd control support
- Enable support for wifi and 802.1x security using net-wireless/wpa_supplicant
- Enable support for the deprecated Wext (Wireless Extensions) API; needed for some older drivers (e.g. ipw2200, ndiswrapper)
NetworkManager is the defacto network connection system for many linux distributions. NetworkManager supports mobile phone, wireless, and wired connections. NetworkManager is intended to make configuring, and connecting easy.
disable wicd, wpa_supplicant, net.ethX, & net.wlanX and dhcpcd prior to starting network manager.
# emerge networkmanager # rc-update add NetworkManager # rcAny users besides root will need to be added to the plugdev group:
# gpasswd -a $USER plugdev
as of right now 17:52, April 12, 2015 (UTC) nmtui's not suitable for wifi configurations because it will not save pass phrases
sessions for users may need ck-launch-session in .xinitrc to use nm-applet, or have sessions launched from a display manager.
# emerge nm-applet
# emerge plasma-nm
To list visible access points:
# nmcli dev wifi list * SSID MODE CHAN RATE SIGNAL BARS SECURITY derp1 Infra 6 54 Mbit/s 30 ▂___ WPA2 derp2 Infra 7 54 Mbit/s 29 ▂___ WPA2 derp3 Infra 1 54 Mbit/s 27 ▂___ WPA1 WPA2 * connectedap Infra 1 54 Mbit/s 52 ▂▄__ WPA1 WPA2To set a wpa pre shared key passphrase:
# nmcli con modify derp1 wifi-sec.key-mgmt wpa-psk # nmcli con modify derp1 wifi-sec.psk yourpassphrase