|Source Repository:||Gentoo Portage Tree|
Summary: Centralized Ruby extension management system
- Install ruby tests that can only be run after ruby is installed
- Use the sys-libs/readline library to provide the readline extension, used for instance by the irb tool. This flag is meaningful only if the libedit USE flag is disabled. If neither libedit nor readline USE flags are enabled, the readline extension will not be built (and irb will lose line editing functionality).
- Use the dev-libs/libyaml library to build the psych extension, available since Ruby 1.9.2_rc2, in alternative to the bundled syck-based parser.
- Install dev-ruby/rdoc after installing Ruby.
- Use dev-libs/jemalloc for memory allocation.
Pre-built kernels!Funtoo stage3's are now starting to offer pre-built kernels for ease of install. read more....
Better Experiences: Ego and VimInfo on Funtoo's new personality tool called 'ego', and user-focused updates to vim's defaults.
How We're Keeping You At the Center of the Funtoo UniverseRead about recent developments that keep you, our users, at the forefront of our focus as Funtoo moves forward.
Ruby is a programming language with its own package management system to extend the language.
Ruby Ruby's way
Rubygems is a package management system to extend the ruby language.
Gems are packaged in portage and those are good for production server application. ruby ruby's way is more friendly on the development of rails side. this will explain how to work with rubygems rather than fight it. Arch wiki outlines a similar method.
Emerge ruby & rubygems:
# emerge ruby rubygems
Remove conflicting gems:
# emerge -C dev-ruby/rake dev-ruby/racc dev-ruby/json dev-ruby/rdoc
Flush conflicting gems bad specs:
# mv /usr/local/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/specifications/ /usr/local/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/specifications.backup
Fetch gems via rubygems:
# gem install rdoc json rake racc
update gem system:
# update_rubygems # gem update --system # gem pristine --all
Now you're ready to use gem to manage gems.
To add gems to your path:
ruby on rails
# gem install rails # rails new testproject # cd testproject # bundle install
puma is a fast web server for ruby on rails.
To enable puma in your project:
To pull in puma:
# bundle install
to start puma:
# bundle exec puma
or if you added gems bin dir to your path
a generic puma init script can be found here