|Source Repository:||Repository:Funtoo Overlay|
Summary: Universal network configuration daemon for laptops, desktops, servers and virtualization hosts
- Use net-dns/dnsmasq and net-firewall/iptables for connection sharing
- Use sys-auth/consolekit for session tracking
- Use dhclient from net-misc/dhcp for getting ip
- Use net-misc/dhcpcd for getting ip
- Use dev-libs/gobject-introspection for introspection
- Enable support for mobile broadband devices using net-misc/modemmanager
- Use dev-libs/nss for cryptography
- Use sys-auth/polkit for controlling privileges
- Enable support for mobile broadband and PPPoE connections using net-dialup/ppp
- Use net-dns/openresolv for managing DNS information
- Use sys-apps/systemd for session tracking
- Enable bindings for dev-lang/vala
- Enable support for the deprecated Wext (Wireless Extensions) API; needed for some older drivers (e.g. ipw2200, ndiswrapper)
- Enable support for WiMAX connections using net-wireless/wimax
Perl UpdatesGentoo has bumped perl from 5.20 to 5.22. Be sure to run perl-cleaner --all after the upgrade.
ARM RebuildARM systems will use new stage3's that are not compatible with earlier versions.
ABI X86 64 and 32Funtoo Linux has new 32-bit compatibility libraries inherited from Gentoo. Learn about them here.
NetworkManager is the defacto network connection system for many linux distributions. NetworkManager supports mobile phone, wireless, and wired connections. NetworkManager is intended to make configuring, and connecting easy.
disable wicd, wpa_supplicant, net.ethX, & net.wlanX and dhcpcd prior to starting network manager.
# emerge networkmanager # rc-update add NetworkManager # rc
Any users besides root will need to be added to the plugdev group:
# gpasswd -a $USER plugdev
If you're experiencing troubles, loosing connection after a 45-second timeout with NetworkManager and dhcpcd, consider moving to dhclient (net-misc/dhcp) - NetworkManager is designed for use with dhclient and have less (~0) problems with it.
sessions for users may need ck-launch-session in .xinitrc to use nm-applet, or have sessions launched from a display manager.
# emerge nm-applet
# emerge plasma-nm
as of right now 17:52, April 12, 2015 (UTC) nmtui's not suitable for wifi configurations because it will not save pass phrases
To list visible access points:
# nmcli dev wifi list * SSID MODE CHAN RATE SIGNAL BARS SECURITY derp1 Infra 6 54 Mbit/s 30 ▂___ WPA2 derp2 Infra 7 54 Mbit/s 29 ▂___ WPA2 derp3 Infra 1 54 Mbit/s 27 ▂___ WPA1 WPA2 * connectedap Infra 1 54 Mbit/s 52 ▂▄__ WPA1 WPA2
The following command will not work as long as you are in chroot environment. The reason for this is that addwifi will need dbus and rfkill to be set up. So don't forget to reboot!
# addwifi -S wpa -K 'wifipassword' mywifinetwork