Getting started with emerge
Emerge is the front-end for funtoo's portage package manager. With emerge it is easy to install, update or remove packages.
Update package database
Sync local package database. This will update your local Portage tree with the latest Funtoo ebuilds.
# emerge --sync
Search packages by name.
# emerge -s firefox # emerge --search firefox
Search packages by description.
# emerge -S web browser # emerge --searchdesc web browser
# emerge firefox
Install multiple packages.
# emerge firefox thunderbird
Install package. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes. Show verbose output.
# emerge -av firefox # emerge --ask firefox
# emerge -C firefox # emerge --unmerge firefox
Remove package. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes.
# emerge -aC firefox
Remove orphaned packages. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes.
# emerge -a --depclean
Update all packages.
# emerge -uDN @world
Update all packages. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes. Show verbose output.
# emerge -uavDN @world
- Updates the portage tree that is located in /usr/portage by default.
- --search -s
- Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree.
- --searchdesc -S
- Matches the search string against the description field as well as the package name.
- --ask -a
- Ask for confirmation before performing any changes.
- --pretend -p
- Instead of actually performing the merge, simply display what *would* have been installed if --pretend weren't used.
- --unmerge -C
- Removes all matching packages.
- --update -u
- Updates packages to the best version available, which may not always be the highest version number due to masking for testing and development.
- --deep [DEPTH] -D
- force emerge to consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of checking only the immediate dependencies of the packages.
- --newuse -N
- Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have changed since compilation.
- --depclean -c
- Remove orphaned packages. Cleans the system by removing packages that are not associated with explicitly merged packages.
- Automatically write package.use settings as necessary to satisfy dependencies.
- --resume -r
- Resumes the most recent merge list that has been aborted due to an error.
- --jobs[=JOBS] -j [JOBS]
- Specifies the number of packages to build simultaneously.
- --load-average [LOAD]
- Specifies that no new builds should be started if there are other builds running and the load average is at least LOAD (a floating-point number).
Emerge can be configured with
Per-package use flags can be configured with
# nano /etc/portage/package.use x11-wm/dwm savedconfig media-sound/ncmpcpp visualizer clock taglib
If you want to install package that has not been tested on your architecture you need to edit
# nano /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords =app-misc/screenfetch-9999 **
For further info see emerge man page.
$ man emerge