Funtoo Linux Web Browsers
Funtoo Linux offers a number of possibilities when it comes to Web browsers. This page is intended to give you an overview of what is available, their various trade-offs, and also provide tutorial-style instructions on how to set them up so they offer full functionality.
Google Chrome (binary)
The Google Chrome (binary) ebuild is www-client/google-chrome. Google Chrome is a very good Web browser. This browser is a great option for those who want a full-featured browser up and running quickly without a lot of complication.
- It's very fast to install, because it does not need to be built from source.
- It includes support for Adobe Flash and PDF viewing built-in, which works right away with no additional configuration.
- It works well with PulseAudio with no additional configuration required.
- It's based on a binary for Debian systems, and sometimes depends on outdated versions of ebuilds to run.
- The stable build of Google Chrome (www-client/google-chrome) has a bug where the text in the address bar "wiggles" as you type.
Google Chrome Installatoin
As root, you first need to accept the Google Chrome license, as follows:
# emerge google-chrome --autounmask-write
Now, run etc-update and accept the changes made to /etc/portage/package.license. Now, emerge:
# emerge -a google-chrome