Want to submit a screenshot? See here.
Funtoo Linux is a Linux-based operating system that is a variant of Gentoo Linux. Funtoo Linux is:
- ...fun! Our priority is to create a great, supportive and responsive user community.
- ...user-centric and collaborative. You don't need any special privileges to collaborate with us.
- ...production-oriented: We use Funtoo to do stuff, like host our infrastructure. It needs to work.
- ...creative: We seek creative, elegant and maintainable solutions to problems of all kinds.
RSS/Atom SupportYou can now follow this news feed at http://www.funtoo.org/news/atom.xml .
Creating a Friendly Funtoo CultureThis news item details some recent steps that have been taken to help ensure that Funtoo is a friendly and welcoming place for our users.
View the Funtoo Linux FAQ for answers to common questions.
Our resources: -- also see the
- Create a Funtoo account (Auth FAQ)
- forums.funtoo.org - our new forums!
- bugs.funtoo.org, our bug tracker (Instructions).
- larrythecow.org, Gentoo blog service.
- kernel-seeds.org, kernel build help.
- git.funtoo.org, our cgit repository browser.
- Support Funtoo to help our project grow.
- Get a Funtoo Virtual Container.
We encourage you to install Funtoo Linux, and get involved in our user community. Get to know fellow Funtoo Linux users on our forums. If you have any improvements or find any bugs in Funtoo Linux, you are strongly encouraged to report them on our bug tracker. We take all bugs seriously, and all work performed on Funtoo Linux is tracked on our bug tracker, for purposes of transparency.
Funtoo Linux has a very active IRC community on Freenode, in the
#funtoo channel, and you are encouraged to hang out online with us.
Expand the wiki!
Funtoo Linux packages are installed from source code, automatically, thanks to the Portage ports system, inspired by the FreeBSD ports system, but written in Python and with full advanced package management functionality. Funtoo Linux is a meta-distribution, which means it is built (fully automatically) with the functionality and optimizations that you want, not what some distro maintainer thought was best for you.
We use Git for all our development, and we also use Git to deliver our ports tree to you.
In contrast to Gentoo Linux, we offer a number of innovations, including our extensive use of git, our profile system, boot-update boot management tool, our incredibly flexible template-based networking scripts, Metro distribution build system, support of Debian, RHEL and other kernels, enhanced Python support, Portage mini-manifests, user-centric distribution model, and a large number of community infrastructure improvements.