|Install Guide, Chapter 0||Next >|
This document was written to help you install Funtoo Linux on PC-compatible systems, while keeping distracting options regarding system configuration to a minimum.
If you've had previous experience installing Gentoo Linux then a lot of steps will be familiar, but you should still read through as there are a few differences. If you're new to installing a Gentoo-based Linux, or new to Linux entirely -- welcome! We have attempted to make these installation instructions understandable to new users as well.
This is a basic overview of the Funtoo installation process:
- Download and boot the live CD of your choice.
- Prepare your disk.
- Create and mount filesystems.
- Install the Funtoo stage tarball of your choice.
- Chroot into your new system.
- Download the Portage tree.
- Configure your system and network.
- Install a kernel.
- Install a bootloader.
- Complete final steps.
- Reboot and enjoy.
We now offer the ability to read and browse the Install Guide section-by-section. Online users may find this more convenient.