Download - SiFive Freedom U740
This section lists the CPU-optimized Funtoo Linux builds currently available for download for sifive-fu740. This subarch supports the RISC-V SiFive Freedom U740 processor, featured on the HiFive Unmatched board.
Architecture and Optimization
The following settings are applied to all stages for this subarch via Funtoo subarch profiles:
What you need
- The Hifive Unmatched, with an M.2 disk and a GPU installed (see the Getting started guide about qualified options)
- A microSD card loaded with the Freedom U SDK, preferably the CLI version (for example using this disk image).
- Insert the prepared microSD card and boot into the Linux loaded on it.
- Follow the usual Funtoo installation process to prepare the M.2 disk (
/dev/nvme0n1), but don't create a separate boot partition, as you're going to be using the one already present on the microSD card (
- Mount your partitions under
/mnt/funtoo, it should look similar to this (ignore additional rows):
root # lsblk mmcblk0 179:0 0 30G 0 disk |-mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 1M 0 part |-mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 4M 0 part |-mmcblk0p3 179:3 0 130M 0 part /mnt/funtoo/boot `-mmcblk0p4 179:4 0 6.5G 0 part nvme0n1 259:0 0 931.5G 0 disk `-nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 931.5G 0 part /mnt/funtoo
- Finish the usual normal Funtoo installation until you need to configure booting (remember to add the microSD card boot partition to your
- Add Funtoo to the U-Boot config on the microSD card:
default Funtoo label OpenEmbedded-SiFive-HiFive-Unmatched kernel /Image.gz-initramfs-unmatched.bin fdt /hifive-unmatched-a00.dtb append root=/dev/mmcblk0p4 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait console=ttySIF0,115200 earlycon label Funtoo kernel /Image.gz-initramfs-unmatched.bin fdt /hifive-unmatched-a00.dtb append root=/dev/nvme0n1p1 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait console=ttySIF0,115200 earlycon
- Rebooting should load your Funtoo installation with the official Freedom U SDK kernel
Self-compiled kernel: Build the kernel into a single (EFI) image (with an embedded initramfs, should you need one), then install that to the microSD card's boot partition, along with the
hifive-unmatched-a00.dtb file from your kernel's source directory. Adjust the
fdt entries from