- using the suggested ubuntu version, and after adding enabling the universe repository sources, poses a (minor) problem when trying to update. The proble and the solution described at http://askubuntu.com/q/761592/48282.
- `grub-install /dev/disk/by-id/ata-...` failed for me initially. The newly created partition, after `sgdisk -a1 -n2:48:2047 -t2:EF02 -c2:"BIOS boot partition" /dev/disk/by-id/ata-...`, was not present under `/dev/` as `sda2`. The "fix" was
1. re-read the partition table without rebooting, i.e. `partx -u /dev/sda`.
2. re-emerge grub to support for i386_pc -- if I remember well... `USE="i386_pc" emerge -av grub`.
- Although all of the rest seem(ed) to be ok (ie GRUB 2 support for ZFS, verification of existence of `/boot/grub/i386-pc/zfs.mod`), trying to (re-)boot, fails at the step of importing the zpool. The zpool failed, initially to be exported. I re-booted the live USB stick, chrooted all the way from the scratch, exited, exported the zpool successfully. Still no success to boot.