Funtoo Macaroni Linux Project
A new release of Eagle branch is out! 22.10-eagle.
01 October 2022
Macaroni Linux OS is a young distribution under the Funtoo Linux umbrella and is developed and evolved primarily by Daniele Rondina (ex Sabayon Linux developer) aka geaaru. The name Macaroni is related to the penguin specie found from the Sub-antarctic to the Antarctic Peninsula. It bears a distinctive yellow crest.
Macaroni OS uses the luet fork as PMS that is under heavy development.
Official Macaroni portal is here.
Following the idea of Funtoo about
1.4-prime release and
next releases on Macaroni there are different releases with different targets.
|Macaroni Funtoo||Phoenix||1.4-prime||The core release based on OpenRC/SysVinit Funtoo system for Server and Desktop.|
|Macaroni Funtoo Next||Dragon||next||The next release based on OpenRC/SysVinit Funtoo system for Server and Desktop. (Not yet started).|
|Macaroni Funtoo Systemd||Eagle||1.4-prime+patches||A Funtoo SystemD release. The idea is to use it only for Server target and as experimental base rootfs where we will develop an alternative tool that will replace SystemD probably written in Golang but that will be compatible with part of SystemD files. In this moment, this release has only Container based targets and Server services.|
At the moment the only supported architecture is
x86_64bit just because we need to prepare a good automation workflow. When we will ready other arches will be supported.
OpenRC is the official init system of Macaroni but it also supports SystemD for containers until it is replaced with a new init process implementation that supply similar features (cgroup, coredump handler, sandboxing, etc.).
In Macaroni Linux at the moment we support both LTS and stable release based on vanilla kernels.
The binaries packages of the kernels are built separately to be used for all releases and are available on macaroni-commons repository.
Only the extra drivers are built over the specific release (for example, nvidia drivers, virtualbox, etc.).
Multiple desktop environments will be supported soon in Macaroni Linux, with the most well-supported of these being GNOME at the moment.
- A new release of Eagle branch is out! 22.10-eagle.
- A new release of Phoenix branch is out! 22.09.01-phoenix. It contains the security fix of the open-vm-tools about CVE-2022-31676.
- The first release of Phoenix branch is been released! 22.09-phoenix. Will be available in the weekend the ISO related to this release.
- Following the path to reach a stable and organized way, I'm happy to announce the release 22.09-eagle for containers. I will release soon the Phoenix release too.
- Macaroni Phoenix release now begin to have the same automation available on Macaroni Systemd. This permits now to start the review of luet tool to reach a stable condition.
- Macaroni uses now static uids/gids for core groups/users and begin to have a more integration with tool "entities" (released with a new version 0.9.1) The following software was released: luet v0.24.0, luet-portage-converter v0.10.6, pkgs-checker v0.13.0
- luet-portage-converter v0.10.0 is been released. Fix the bump of the packages with a new revision but with same version. It helps to identify packages to rebuild. Now it's possible define annotations for luet specs globally for all packages defined in a spec file.
- luet-portage-converter v0.9.0 is been released. It adds provides/conflicts support and the possibility to split layer yaml over the include_layers attribute to help CD/CI integration.
- Macaroni Systemd release is 60% now automatic. See Readme.