Getting started with emerge
Emerge is the front-end for funtoo's portage package manager. With emerge its easy to install, update or remove packages.
 Update package database
Sync local package database. This will update your local Portage tree with the latest Funtoo ebuilds.
# emerge --sync
 Search packages
Search packages by name.
# emerge -s firefox # emerge --search firefox
Search packages by description.
# emerge -S web browser # emerge --searchdesc web browser
 Install packages
# emerge firefox
Install multiple packages.
# emerge firefox thunderbird
Install package. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes. Show verbose output.
# emerge -av firefox
 Remove packages
# emerge -C firefox # emerge --unmerge firefox
Remove package. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes.
# emerge -aC firefox
Remove orphaned packages. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes.
# emerge -a --depclean
 Update packages
Update all packages.
# emerge -uDN @world
Update all packages. Ask for confirmation before performing any changes. Show verbose output.
# emerge -uavDN @world
 Emerge options
- Updates the portage tree that is located in /usr/portage by default.
- --search -s
- Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree.
- --searchdesc -S
- Matches the search string against the description field as well as the package name.
- --ask -a
- Ask for confirmation before performing any changes.
- --pretend -p
- Instead of actually performing the merge, simply display what *would* have been installed if --pretend weren't used.
- --unmerge -C
- Removes all matching packages.
- --update -u
- Updates packages to the best version available, which may not always be the highest version number due to masking for testing and development.
- --deep [DEPTH] -D
- force emerge to consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of checking only the immediate dependencies of the packages.
- --newuse -N
- Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have changed since compilation.
- --depclean -c
- Remove orphaned packages. Cleans the system by removing packages that are not associated with explicitly merged packages.
- Automatically write package.use settings as necessary to satisfy dependencies.
- --resume -r
- Resumes the most recent merge list that has been aborted due to an error.
- --jobs[=JOBS] -j [JOBS]
- Specifies the number of packages to build simultaneously.
- --load-average [LOAD]
- Specifies that no new builds should be started if there are other builds running and the load average is at least LOAD (a floating-point number).
Emerge can be configured with /etc/portage/make.conf
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe" CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe" MAKEOPTS="-j2" EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs 2 --load-average 2" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965" LINGUAS="en en_US en_GB" ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 threads alsa X gtk xcb dri opengl vaapi udev \ svg x264 xvid gstreamer webm vpx icu bash-completion vim-pager \ -gnome -xscreensaver -cups -fortran -deprecated -iptables -ipv6 -geoloc \ -mta -sendmail -kmod -tiff -live -quicktime -real -gpm -themes"
Per-package use flags can be configured with /etc/portage/package.use
x11-wm/dwm savedconfig media-sound/ncmpcpp visualizer clock taglib
If you want to install package that has not been tested on your architecture you need to edit /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
 Further info
For further info see emerge man page.
$ man emerge