|Source Repository:||Repository:Gentoo Portage Tree|
Summary: Chromium is the Open Source Web browser that serves as the foundation for Google Chrome.
- Split build into more shared libraries to speed up linking. Mostly intended for debugging and development, NOT RECOMMENDED for general use.
- Enable support for GConf to retrieve system settings
- Use GN (generate ninja) instead of GYP for building
- Use gtk3 instead of gtk2
- Enable support for Google Hangouts features such as screen sharing
- Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
- Enable proprietary codecs like H.264, MP3
- Build the SUID sandbox, which is only needed on CONFIG_USER_NS=n kernels
- Use system ffmpeg instead of the bundled one
- Use bundled tcmalloc instead of system malloc
- Unsupported closed-source DRM capability (required by Netflix VOD)
New Squeezelite EbuildSqueezelite streams audio from Logitech Media Server, supporting FLAC, MP3, and hi-res DSD (SACD) formats.
New Raspberry Pi and ODROID buildsWe now have builds that are optimized for various Raspberry Pi and ODROID systems.
Chromium is the free open source version of Google Chrome. This package takes a very long time to compile.
# emerge www-client/chromium
You may instead accept all licenses and emerge google-chrome (which is binary, and not open source), if you prefer a shorter compile time.
# emerge www-client/google-chrome