|Source Repository:||Repository:Gentoo Portage Tree|
Summary: Chromium is the Open Source Web browser that serves as the foundation for Google Chrome.
- Use GN (generate ninja) instead of GYP for building
- Use gtk3 instead of gtk2
- Enable support for Google Hangouts features such as screen sharing
- Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
- Enable proprietary codecs like H.264, MP3
- Build the SUID sandbox, which is only needed on CONFIG_USER_NS=n kernels
- Use system ffmpeg instead of the bundled one
- Use bundled tcmalloc instead of system malloc
- Unsupported closed-source DRM capability (required by Netflix VOD)
Chromium is the free open source version of Google Chrome. This package takes a very long time to compile.
# emerge www-client/chromium
You may instead accept all licenses and emerge google-chrome (which is binary, and not open source), if you prefer a shorter compile time.
# emerge www-client/google-chrome