|Source Repository:||Repository:Gentoo Portage Tree|
Summary: Samba is an Open Source/Free Software suite that provides seamless file and print services to SMB/CIFS clients. Integration with various accounting and antivirus backends.
- Enable Active Directory Domain Controller support
- Enable AD DNS integration
- Enable Active Directory support
- Enable asynchronous IO support
- Enables the client part
- Enable support for clustering
- Enable support for DMAPI. This currently works only in combination with XFS.
- Use app-crypt/gpgme for AD DC
- Enabling iPrint technology by Novell
- Enables support for user quotas
- Use app-crypt/heimdal instead of bundled heimdal.
- Use app-crypt/mit-krb5 instead of app-crypt/heimdal.
- Enables support for the winbind auth daemon
Funtoo Services available thru BreezyOpsFuntoo Linux support and consulting services are now available from BreezyOps.
Samba is a package that enables windows shares within linux. Samba can be used with gvfs, and mount to make remote shares appear as if they contain local data.
Samba configs conflict within versions, if you're experiencing problems with updates, remove samba entirely from the system, and reinstall from scratch. Once samba starts to run good with default configurations, start inserting custom configurations.
# emerge net-fs/samba
Here is an example of my samba 3x series /etc/samba/smb.conf file. This should work for samba 4x series but may take some adaptation. https://gist.github.com/666threesixes666/5505323
Windows uses wins, netbios, and netbui. to address a machine as //server or //doze requires these services activated otherwise you're restricted to ip/alias/dns to connect to a computer on the LAN.