Kits system changes
Addition of new kits, such as
core-ui-kit and reorganization of package-sets, that forms a list of ebuilds in a kit, accordingly.
meta-repos's kits now truly locked by specific SHA of upstream gentoo portage tree, which will now minimize a cross-kit ebuild dependencies issues that was a problem for older releases. Yes, this means that 1.3-release is now fully frozen and you will not get as many daily updates as everyone used to.
Certain kits are independently maintained such as
gnome-kit. They are under strict release control and form a basis for official desktop applications.
merge-scripts that creating the meta-repo drastically rewritten to achieve the goals of 1.3-release
app-admin/ego-2.7.2 got many fixes to problems that found by 1.3-release testing.
boot-update, a bootloader configuration tool is part of ego now.
Toolchain package updates
gcc-7.4.1update. Very recent upstream GCC version that also has specific fixes such as crossdev support. (https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-3787)
Notice, that gcc-7 has no official support for -march=skylake, stage3 builds now changed to use -march=broadwell. This is fixed in gcc-8 and will be part of 1.4-release (https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-5816)
Other core updates
- Default kernel changed from debian-sources to debian-sources-lts, which is tested to be better with container support such as LXD. It is an LTS kernel based on kernel.org 4.9 branch, maintained by Debian. This is the kernel you will find in stage3, when doing your installation of Funtoo Linux
sys-apps/openrcupdated to version 0.40.2
dev-lang/perlupdated to version 5.26
- python-3.6 is still a default version in 1.3-release due to python-3.7 incomplete support in many ebuilds.
Deprecation of multilib support
Funtoo profiles now changed to be pure64 (also known as no-multilib). stage3 builds that building with 1.3-release are pure64 by default. For 32-bit applications, such as
steam please, follow:
An alternative way of using 32-bit environment with LXD containers is under development, to be announced (https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-6098)
- various build system fixes in gnome core parts and user experience issues fixes.
- optional support for gnome on wayland (https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-5954). Please, follow, GNOME First Steps wiki, https://www.funtoo.org/GNOME_First_Steps
Kde now updated to version 5.14.3. Importnt change is that QT core ebuilds, which can be found under
dev-qt/* category now belong to special
kde-plasma-5 profile now also inherits the gnome mix-in.
Xfce-4.13 updates available.
xfce-kit had minor package set changes, for example ebuilds that was previously in other kits, now belong to xfce-kit, as well as other minor issues fixes (https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-5557)
gfxcard-nvidia mix-in created for better default USE settings for users with nvidia cards. nvidia-drivers now has uvm is enabled by default (https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-5974). Number of fixes for video editing software included, such as
media-video/flowblade ebuild added.
For reported problems that are required for 1.3-release since a freezing of tree happened.
- net-dns/avahi-0.7-r4 (CVE-2017-6519)
- dev-lang/go-1.10.7, dev-lang/go-1.11.4 (CVE-2018-16873, CVE-2018-16874, CVE-2018-16875)
- dev-libs/libxml2-2.9.8-r1 (CVE-2017-8872, CVE-2018-14404, CVE-2018-14567)
- app-arch/tar-1.30-r1 (CVE-2018-20482)
- mail-client/thunderbird-60.4.0 (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2018-28/)
- www-client/firefox-64.0 (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2018-29/)