Funtoo Media-Kit Project
Welcome to the Funtoo Media-Kit project! This project is focused on the maintenance of media-kit, and the various types of media support in Funtoo, plus the media-related multi-profiles.
The goal of the Funtoo Media project is to provide essential functionality related to media support in Funtoo Linux, to curate/maintain the media packages, and keep the media-related profile mix-ins up-to-date and configured optimally.
The dynamic table, below, defines what we consider part of media-kit, and also includes guidance on frameworks that we may not fully support yet. For new media-related ebuilds, there is a possibility we will want to have them be part of flora rather than Funtoo's media-kit, depending on their applicability and relation to what Funtoo supports. See "Current Work", below.
Work has begun on 'beard trimming' excess packages in media-kit in next-release. The goal here is to limit the scope of media-kit somewhat, so it is a curated collection of packages of importance to Funtoo, rather than a bucket for anything in the universe that is related to media. Next-release has its own
packages.yaml file which has been significantly pruned, as well as organized. At the top of the file, there are some packages identified that are mis-categorized and should be moved out of media-kit.
Packages that do not relate to the core mission of media-kit will likely be moved to a relaunched flora (see FL-9393) -- or possibly a more focused new project (3dkit? vfxkit? with their own kits) and maintained by the user community. The packages remaining within media-kit will be more actively maintained and autogenned. This will allow us to:
- Organize the 'important stuff' in media-kit.
- Have other special-purpose media kits for the 'cool stuff.'
- Leverage flora for the miscellaneous media stuff that is not as widely used or for which there is not an active media sub-project.
How To Get Involved
Our efforts are focused on media-kit in next-release. Here are some things that we are totally open to in the form of PRs:
- Help us move the 'miscategorized' packages (labelled in the YAML as
packages.yamlto the correct kits.
- Help us autogen various media libraries in next-release. These packages are generally fairly "autogen-friendly", as they tend to be somewhat mature and have a clear scope of functionality and set of dependencies. The lower-level libraries tend to have few or no real dependencies.
- Help us keep
packages.yamlorganized into various categories of packages so we can easily track the various things in media-kit.
- Improve support of not-quite-supported or not-well-supported frameworks, such as PipeWire, by starting a sub-project for this. Talk to leads about this if you are interested.
For any of these tasks, first open a bug on the bug tracker to indicate what you're going to be working on. Once it's moved to "Ready to Fix" state, a PR can be submitted.