Here are the steps, tips, and tricks to have Vmware-Workstation working on Funtoo Linux.
Vmware-Workstation PRO is a PAID PRODUCT you need a license to use. See https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-for-linux.html
Note: If you plan to run Windows VM's as Guest - see - https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-3798
Disable CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR ( General setup/Stack Protector buffer overflow detection = NONE
See Custom Kernel for more details
- sys-kernel/debian-sources-lts - 4.9.30
- sys-kernel/debian-sources - 4.11.11
- app-emulation/vmware-workstation - 188.8.131.5213279
- Create a file called "vmware" on /etc/portage/repos.conf"
cat << 'EOF' >> /etc/portage/repos.conf [vmware] location = /var/git/vmware auto-sync = no priority = 10 EOF
cd /var/git/ && git clone https://anongit.gentoo.org/git/proj/vmware.git echo "app-emulation/vmware-workstation bundled-libs" >> /etc/portage/package.use emerge -va vmware-workstation
- The step above will ask to unmask the package, unmask and install as usual.
- Alternate method use Layman to install and manage.
emerge --config vmware-workstation service vmware start