Windows Subsystem for Linux
To install WSL 2 on Windows 10 you need the following things:
- Any version of Windows 10 such as: Professional, Home or Home Single Language with the following build numbers:
Windows 10 May 2020 (2004), Windows 10 May 2019 (1903), or Windows 10 November 2019 (1909) or later. Technically you can install WSL 2 on an “insider” build of Windows 10 build 18917 or later.
- A computer with Hyper-V Virtualization support active on BIOS and RAM memory with at least 4GB.
8 GB recommended for best performance.
- A processor (CPU) that supports SLAT (Second Level Address Translation) like:
Intel’s SLAT technology is represented as EPT (Extended Page Table). This technology is available in processors with virtualization support: core i7, i5, i3, Pentium G6950 and other appropriate Xeons. It is not available in Core 2 Duo or Core Quad (socket 775) based or other earlier Intel processors.
AMD’s SLAT technology is represented as RVI (Rapid Virtualization Indexing) technology, in their third generation Opteron processors codenamed Barcelona.
WSL 2 is only available in Windows 10 builds, upgrade to a WSL 2 compatible version:
In the Windows search box search for "turn windows features on or off"
scroll down and tick:
- virtual machine platform
- windows subsystem for linux
install the WSL 2 kernel from this link
- Try to use your computers specific subarch stage3:
- if you're running 64 bit windows, and unsure about your subarch you can use this stage3:
- use 7zip to convert the .tar.xz to .tar:
- search for power shell, right click it's icon and select run as administrator:
root # wsl.exe --import "funtoo" "C:\funtoo" "C:\Users\$MYUSER\Downloads\gnome-stage3-amd64-piledriver-1.4-release-std-2020-12-16.tar" --version 2
root # wsl -d funtoo
you are now running funtoo under windows.
root # ego sync root # emerge -C debian-sources root # emerge -avuND @world
wsl behaves similar to a chroot instance regarding init.
root # mkdir /run/openrc root # touch /run/openrc/softlevel root # rc
- gwsl in the microsoft store can run graphical applications that are installed.
Xming uses ssh x11 forwarding to render x11 under windows:
- in powershell:
root # wsl.exe --unregister funtoo